Chickenshititis, that condition that, from time to time, I’ve gotta believe we all suffer from. Even the most courageous and well intentioned of us, manage to find ourselves not quite living up to our standards for personal integrity and/or doing as we said we would. The topic, and word chickenshit, is very much a term that most Americans can relate to. I know this because I can Google the word “Chickenshit” and Merriam’s got a definition right there for me to read:
adjective chick-en-shit \chi-ken-shit\
Definition of Chickenshit
1. usually vulgar: petty, insignificant
2. usually vulgar: lacking courage, manliness, or effectiveness
My reasoning behind using this offensive word was due to the fact that I experience being chickenshit; and I also tend to recognize when others seemingly fall into this rut as well. Hey, it happens! It’s okay, it’s natural and normal. Yet, it’s also something, that with clarity and awareness, we can rise above in order to improve our lives and the way we relate with others.
So I recently had an experience where a male client and I consulted. I visited his property and we discussed various options and ideas for making improvements. Mind you he’d already had another contractor over to do this same thing too, though the other contractor focused primarily on what his specific trade was. None the less, both of us contractors had different opinions as to the process and direction we’d have my client go. This became a mental conflict for him. As a result, he somehow fabricated in his mind that I would be disappointed and he didn’t want to disappoint me. So what’d he do… nothing!
No call, no text, no NOTHING! He was experiencing what I call Chickenshititis, also known as fear. Fear is a huge factor in so many of our lives. It hinders our creativity, and causes us to live lives where we unknowingly limit ourselves and cause more drama than we ever imagined. Rather than continue to succumb to this condition that I’ve just defined and pointed out, I’d like to share just a few ways in which you might over come and cure yourself of chickenshititis. Living life courageously is how we overcome Chickenshititis.
1. First you might wanna consider that there are really only 2 emotions that exist, Love and Fear. All other emotions stem from these 2 cerebral sides of our brain. While fear is a good and legitimate emotion that ‘s necessary for our safety and survival, it’s also something made from our memory; and we often confuse this made up reality with what’s real. The solution is to ask yourself,
“Am I thinking and acting out of FEAR or LOVE?”
The more often you can choose love, the better your results and outcome will be. A great resource for this is one I touched on in last week’s blog post. Dr. Jerry Jampolsky’s book, Love is Letting Go of Fear, is a must read. Check it out.
2. Let your intention be your guide. That is, of course, when your intention is loving, rather than fear filled. Our intentions are the back up documents and rationale for what we do. They are the “WHY”. I am in no way saying that your intentions will be understood by others. That is never a guarantee. But I will say that when your intentions are loving, and you allow these loving intentions to guide and direct your actions, you’re bound to experience a more pleasant response from, and with, others. That link will take you to an interview with Brother Ishmael Tetteh. His book “The Way Forward” is an awesome read.
3. Be willing to act immediately. Whether it’s as simple as making a phone call to inform someone you’re going to be late, or delivering what you know and anticipate someone might take as unwanted or bad news. Be willing to honestly, share immediately, and deliver this information. The longer you sit and flip flop this unwanted news in your head, the larger, and more seemingly dreadful, it becomes. So be courageous, don’t allow the chickenshit mindset to consume you. Act NOW and act expeditiously. In time you’ll get even better at doing this.
My reasoning behind sharing as I do is because I love humankind. I live and learn, then seek to teach what I have learned in life. My hope is that we will evolve in such a way that our lives, our relationships with others, and ourselves grow even deeper in love, and prosperous development.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
#GoGreenWithAhmed #TeamAhmedTV #DoItForDaniella #NoChickenShit